At the General Meeting which took place on Thursday 30th November 2023, those present voted in favour of the following motions:
- Update to Clubs & Societies (Schedule 8)
- University Divestment from the Border Regime – Students' Union Support
- Stirling Students’ Union BDS
The motion submitted in relation to the Students’ Union and BDS (boycott, divest, sanctions) resolves that we share the following information with the student body, including that:
1. Stirling Students’ Union condemns the conflict being used to incite islamophobia or antisemitism and to support any student who faces discrimination.
2. Stirling Students’ Union supports the Palestinian state and its right to self-determination.
3. Stirling Students’ Union supports an end to the occupation of Palestinian territory by the Israeli state and an end to violence.
4. Stirling Students’ Union supports an end to the occupation of Palestinian territory by the Israeli state and stands by students and academics calling for a free Palestine and supports the right to criticise the Israeli state.
5. Stirling Students’ Union supports the right of free expression on campus, including the display of symbols of support for Palestine.
6. Stirling Students’ Union supports the Palestinian civil society call for boycott, divestment, and sanctions of companies with ties to the Israeli government. As an organisation, Stirling Students’ Union will endeavour to sever all commercial and political ties with Israeli-affiliated groups and corporations and encourage the same of partners, including the University of Stirling.
7. Stirling Students’ Union is opposed to the University of Stirling benefitting from companies with ties to the Israeli government and encourage it to divest its portfolio away from such links.
Officers will now take forward the relevant actions outlined in the motion. To read this motion in full, along with the two other motions which passed, check out the Students’ Union website. If you have any questions regarding the motion or process of a General Meeting, email us at email@example.com
If you would like to get involved and make a change, find out more about how you can do so on the Students’ Union website.