Hi, my name is Josh and I’m running to become the next Vice-President Communities. I’ve worked closely with the Student Union over the last few years as Housing Officer, National Union of Students (NUS) Delegate, a member of several society committees (Air3 Radio, Co-op society, Debate, and Re-enactment) as well as numerous university/union committees.
I am running for Vice-President Communities because I believe that, no matter who you are or where you come from, we are all members of a large student community and deserve the opportunity to do well at university. I have experienced first-hand many of the obstacles to both the opportunities available and to feeling part of our community. Despite all that has already been done, I believe that we must go further to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience. With your help and support, I’d love to bring down those walls!
- Develop a stronger and unified voice towards housing issues by creating a Student Housing Forum so students can come forward with their issues regarding accommodation.
- Include the Housing Officer in rent negotiations with the University towards university owned accommodation.
- Negotiate with the University to gain a fair deal on rent and improved accommodation standards.
- Promote further the University Accommodation Enhancement fund.
- Support for ALS (Accommodation Liaison Students) with the end-goal being the inclusion of them as union employees like the already existing faculty officer positions.
Mental Health, Health and Wellbeing
- Create a new mental health campaign entitled, “Are they OK?” campaign. This campaign will focus on students looking out for one another to encourage both better Mental Health and Mental Wellbeing among our student community. The campaign will aim to create a support network based on early warning signs of decreasing Mental Health and Wellbeing, and to signpost where help is available.
- Encourage simple health and wellbeing exercises that involve our beautiful campus.
- Collaborate with the Equalities Officers to highlight safety on campus by reclaiming our campus for all students; all must feel safe walking in all areas of campus.
Clubs and Societies
- Advocate for both the University and Students Union to hire internally from our Media societies for advertising work, so as to spread the industry experience and provide Air3, AirTV, and Brig with chances to grow even more.
- Increase your accessibility to your VP Communities.
- Re-create the 'VP Tea', regular weekly lunch chats with Club & Society Presidents.
- Continue negotiations with First Bus to continue safe, available, and sustainable transport for students to campus.
- Encourage more recycling throughout campus from Accommodation to the Sports Facilities.
- Ensure that sustainable travel options, such as the buses, will continue to be easily accessible and readily available.
- Work with both our Environmental Development Coordinator Matt Woodthorpe and the future Sustainability Officer to fulfil both our Suitability Policy goals and the officer’s manifesto.