I am Gill Thayne, a 4th year sport and exercise science student. Throughout my 4 years at Stirling University, I have been lucky enough to be involved in many of the opportunities our Union offers us. I currently hold the Union position of Faculty officer of Sport. I have been involved in two of our fantastic sport clubs, Women’s Hockey and Touch Rugby. Over the course of my time here, I have held committee positions in both these clubs, giving me an insight into what is essential for each club to run effectively. Furthermore, I have been part of the Sport Union executive committee for three years and I also held a part time officer role in my third year as Health Promotions Officer. Working at the heart of the Sports Union has given me an incredible insight into how the Union works, and how it could work better. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working alongside the Union so far and I would be thrilled to move into the role of Sport Union President to not only give back to the Union for the great experiences I have had, but to also further enhance other student experiences.
Moving forward, I would like focus on the ABCs:
Appreciation of Successes
• I will celebrate our successes. We are fantastic at sport and I would like clubs to feel completely acknowledged for their achievements both on and off the field.
Building Clubs’ Futures
• I will support clubs to reach their goals by building good relationships with each club to ensure their voices are being heard. I will work hard on fundraising for teams to ensure that they have all resources they need to raise money to sustain a healthy club.
• I will facilitate open channels of communication between The Union and Sport Clubs allowing the Sport Union members to have a clear idea of all that is going on within the Sport Union.
• I will continue our strong partnership with the Gannochy in this period of transition during the re-build of our sports centre. I will ensure that all our Sport Union clubs are being well informed and looked after throughout this process.
• To further this point, I would like to maintain a strong relationship with the Gannochy to help widen participation in physical activity across the university student body by collaborating on fun and quirky activities and events.
I will bring my enthusiasm and passion for student sport to this role and I will fight for the student voice as I believe that is what comes first!