You cannot regret doing something if you do not try it in the first place.
I’m Simon Goodman and I am running for the privilege of being your Sports President. I am an active member of our judo club and also on the sports union executive, so I understand the challenges facing our students when it comes to sport.
I am a mature postgraduate student and even though I am slightly older, sport is a passion for me and prior to choosing to study my masters here, last year I graduated form the University of Edinburgh with an BSc. (Hons) in Sport Management. I will use the knowledge gained in my degree to further enhance the success of our sports union.
So, what can I offer you as your Sports President?
· From the very small to the largest and I will ensure each and every club has the full support of your sports union
· Communication between the sports union and clubs is vital and I will operate drop-in times where you can just walk in and discuss any concerns you may have
· Ensure that all students are fully aware of the options for gym membership - including monthly instalment fees as well as seeking a pay as you train option for those students who do not use the gym regularly
· Work with the sports centre to introduce a single-semester option gym membership for those students who are only here for one semester
· Work closely with the team at the sports centre to ensure that students with additional support needs receive help in order to maximise universal enjoyment of our sports facilities
· For sports club members who only use the facilities as part of club activities, I will seek to introduce a facilities fee at a reduced cost as opposed to a full gym membership
· Continue the amazing work done in the past to promote not only sport but also health and wellbeing
· Helping new sports clubs to form by offering clear guidance and signposting the way to achieve this
· Having more union wide socials where we can celebrate being a part of Team Stirling together
· Introduce a Hall of Fame where sporting alumni who have gone on to achieve outstanding sporting success at the highest level can be honoured
· Be robust when dealing with issue from suppliers for leisure and playing kit and will if necessary, seek out alternatives
· Implement more community engagement and work with Active Stirling and Sport Scotland to provide opportunities to those who wish to get involved in our local community
I am committed to ensuring that you get the best sporting experience possible, from leisuely jogs to sporting excellence. As a martial artist I am used to stepping up for the fight and that is exactly what I will do for you, fight for you, Our Stirling Sports Family.