vice president education
Hi I'm Calum Brown (He/him) and I'm your Vice President Education for 2021/22
I have recently graduated from the University with a BA (Hons) degree in Sports Studies. I have always had a passion for education, whether it be policy or teaching. My original career plan was to become a Physical Education teacher. However, my main focus has changed to helping improve education for all at University. I have been actively involved in representation within the University, from being a Module Rep on multiple modules to most recently being the Faculty Officer for Sport.
In my spare time, I played for the University of Stirling Water Polo Club for my 4 years at University. I also coach at Stirling Water Polo club and am the Assistant Coach for the Scotland U19 Boys National team.
As Vice President Education, It is my job to represent and support all 14,000+ students enrolled at the University, with their education. I work closely with the other Sabbatical Officers, Rosamund Vickers (Democracy and Representation Co-ordinator) and Lynn Maher (Advocacy and Inclusion Development Co-ordinator) to:
- Run the Module Representatives programme and manage the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Faculty Officers.
- Take forward several campaigns to improve learning, teaching and the student experience throughout the year, whilst engaging and empowering students to enhance the quality of their teaching and learning experience.
- Lead on policy development and implementation of the Union's policy on academic matters and education.
- Engage with national education agencies on areas of policy development and implementation.
- Work in collaboration with Union Officers, staff and external bodies and the University to continually develop and support and effective student academic representative network to ensure student engagement in the enhancement of the learning experience at Stirling.
- To identify themes and oversee casework that the Union undertakes.
As VP Education, I also chair and sit in multiple groups and committees including:
- Chairing all the Education Zone meetings (all students welcome) and the Education Executive (elected part-time officers only) meetings.
- Member of the Corporate Parenting Steering Group
- Curriculum Lifecycle Management Project Board
- Enhancement Led Institutional Review (ELIR) Steering and Working Groups
- ESEC Programme Business Sub-Committee
- Induction Working Group
- Enhancement Theme Leaders Group
- University Learning and Teaching Quality Committee (ULTWC)
- Widening Access Steering Group
- Student Carers Working Group
- Academic Appeals Panel (as and when)
- Student Discipline Panel (as and when)
- Semester Learning and Teaching Group
- Constitutional Working Group (Union)
- HR Subgroup (Union)
- Finance and Resources Committee (Union)
- Digital Accessibility steering group
- IS Directorate Group (attending meetings for updates)
- Academic Council
- Education Student Experience Committee (ESEC)
- Student Experience Committee
And many more meetings and committees not listed above.
I also get called onto committees when required to do so and the above list is not exhaustive of my responsibilities as a Sabbatical Officer and VP Education.
I am a friendly, approachable individual with an 'open door' policy, so please feel free to email me at: email@example.com with any of your educational or academic queries and I will help in any way I can.