This week the University Of Stirling Students’ Union was awarded “Excellent” and also topped league tables being awarded “Highest Scoring Devolved Nation Union” as part of NUS’s Green Impact programme. The Green Impact awards recognise the commitment students’ unions across the UK have made to create positive change and equipping the student body with the skills they need to work towards a more just and sustainable future. Some of the highlights of the past year include:
- Successfully lobbying the University to removing its fossil fuel investments
- Receiving £23,211 from Cycling Scotland to purchase 120 new sheltered bike spaces following your feedback
- Helping facilitate gender identity awareness training for over 40 Sports Union club committee members
- Working with the University on free sanitary product access – including giving 240 mooncups away for free
- Increasing use of reusable coffee cups from 3% to 30% by creating a 20p disposable coffee cup charge across campus
- Supporting community litter picks with over 50kg of litter collected
On behalf of the Students’ Union and our sustainability hub, the Green and Blue Space, we would like to say a huge thank you to all the student volunteers, students and staff that have been involved in our sustainability projects over the past year. Without your support we would not be able to work on this incredible range of activity and we look forward to another exciting year ahead.
For more information on our sustainability work and how to get involved check out our Sustainability pages and follow the Green and Blue Space here on Facebook.