Check out the most up to date information on Brexit on the University website. Please see some information below on previous campaigns and sessions which we have run to keep students as up to date as possible on Brexit. 

image of eu and uk flags with text saying brexit: what are we doing for international students

As your Students’ Union we know and understand that Brexit will bring change to all students. We want to ensure that throughout this process you are informed on what is happening and how this will affect you.

This is why we undertook a research project which included an online survey, interviews, and focus groups to get your views, opinions, and suggestions on Brexit.

This info sheet has a quick overview of the main results.

The full results will be shared with the University and the Scottish Government so that they can be informed of the views of international students. We will continue to support University of Stirling students throughout and beyond the Brexit process.

If you'd like to read the full report, you can find it here

  • In addition to the Brexit Info Cafe hosted in 2019 and in conjunction with the University we provided lawyer sessions hosted by Gurjit Pall, an immigration lawyer for Thorntons Solicitors.  The PowerPoint presentation can be accessed here.  

Who can I contact?

On this website you can also subscribe to e-mail updates on any developments regarding Brexit.

This team specialises in student immigration to the UK, they are here to help you with advice and
support with your immigration status, the application process and visa extensions.

Update December 2019

The University have provided updated details and guidance which can be found here.

Update January 2020

You may be aware of recent reports that a public test phase of the EU Settlement Scheme opened on 21 January – ahead of the Scheme going live in March.

The EU Settlement Scheme is now open to most students, who are eligible to apply if they are either:

• an EU national with a valid passport (not identity card), or

• a non-EU citizen who has a residence card or permanent residence card issued on the basis of an application made under EU law provisions on or after 6 April 2015

Please visit the UK Government website, or the UK Council for International Student Affairs website, for information on applying under this scheme and updates on post-Brexit rules and entitlements.

Current update 

The UK officially left the EU on 31st January 2020 and is currently in a transition period until 31st December 2021.  Your Union is committed to offering you as much support as possible as negotations progress and what this means for you.  Previously we have provided Brexit info and drop in sessions in collaboration with the University and we are committed to offering you support.  Our ongoing message is still very much 'Stirling Welcome the World' and the most recent statement from our principal can be found here

From 2021, the Scottish Government will no longer be funding EU Students attending Scottish Universities. 

Your Union is here to support you and Make Students’ Lives Better.